A Naming Ceremony is a special way that parents can publically & formally welcome a child or children into the family. Many parents nowadays are choosing to have the Naming Ceremony as it is a traditional ceremony without the religious overtones. The reason this works so well is because when their child has grown, they are free to hold their own special values and believe in anything they desire as opposed to the belief they were ‘christened or baptised’ into.
A Naming Ceremony can be held anytime after a child has been born, but the most popular times for the ceremony are usually within weeks of the childs birth, or when they reach the milestone age of one year old. However, there are certainly no age limits on when a ceremony can be held, from a couple of days old, even reaching right up into adulthood!
These Ceremonies are also perfect for welcoming step-children into a blended family or even an adopted child.
These ceremonies can be written any way that you like, to include anyone that you would like to participate, or any readings you may like spoken to commemorate the day. I do encourage participation of the childs loved ones during the ceremony and it is a tradition for the parents to select close friends or special family members to act as mentors or guardians. These “Mentors” are people the parents KNOW will take a vested interest in and guide the child as they grow to adulthood- but again, this option is totally up to you.
Some examples of memorable Rituals suited for this occasion could be:
- A tree planting
- A balloon release (with wish cards tied to them)
- A butterfly release
- A wishing box (where guests write down their hopes and positive wishes for the child’s future)
- A signing Teddy Bear
- And the list goes on, I have many more in a book for you to look at!
If you are stuck for ideas or themes for your Naming Ceremony, I am always here to help!
As part the Naming Ceremony, you will be presented with
- A framed Personalised Name Meaning Certificate for your Child
- A Naming Ceremony Certificate (signed by all involved)
- A hand-bound copy of your Ceremony
- A personally selected gift for your child as a memento of their special day.